Tanjong Rhu Road begins from the junction of Fort Road and Meyer Road and ends near the Kallang basin near the Benjamin Sheares Bridge.
TanjongRhu enjoys excellent connectivity via KPE, ECP and Nicoll Highway. It is 5 minutes drive to Suntec City and Marina Bay Financial Centre (MBFC) and 10 minutes drive to Orchard Road and Raffles Place (Singapore’s financial district).
Meanwhile the nearest MRT Station is Stadium (CC9) MRT station which is about 600m from Pebble Bay condominium or about 10 minutes on foot. The good news is the new Thomson-East Coast Line will pass by this area. Tanjong Rhu (TE23) MRT Station will be built on the open land in between Pebble Bay and Casuarina Cove.
The Singapore Sports Hub, opened in June 2014, is a state-of-the-art, fully integrated sports, entertainment and lifestyle hub that will allow everyone in Singapore to watch, play and support sports and entertainment. It is built on the site of the original National Stadium. Sports Hub consists of new 55,000 capacity National Stadium, Singapore Indoor Station, OCBC Arena, OCBC Aquatic Centre, Water Sports Centre, Singapore Sports Museum, Sports Hub Library, Kallang Wave Mall where you can find food court, restaurant, retails shops and supermarket.
At Kallang Leisure Park, there is a large basement supermarket and a wide range of fashionable lifestyle retail shops to pamper your senses and fulfill your every need. There is also a host of dining outlets such as casual takeaway and confectionaries, to luxurious seafood, western and fast food to indulge yourself in. For entertainment, you be spoilt for choice as you choose between skating, bowling, catching a movie or even late night karaoke sessions.
Tanjong Rhu area is sought-after as it is near the upcoming SportsHub at Kallang and the completed Gardens by the Bay. Under the URA Master Plan, the Kallang Riverside will be transformed into a commercial and waterfront residential hub with about 300,000sq m (3.2 million sqft) of land zoned for 4,000 new homes.
The Tanjong Rhu Road was named after the Casuarina trees that grew along the coast of Kallang and Rochore. Casuarina trees are known as pokokrhu in Malay, Rhu being the Malay name for the Casuarinalittoria variety of the tree. Post-war reclamation and construction work along the east coast resulted in the uprooting of the Casuarina trees. It is unknown when the road was named TanjongRhu but the word was in use since the 17th century, as it appeared in E.G. de Eredis’s1604 Map of Singapore as Tanjon Ro. Other roads in the area, which connect to TanjongRhu Road, are named after TanjongRhu as well, such as TanjongRhu Place, TanjongRhu View and TanjongRhu Cross.
The whole of Tanjong Rhu was designated to be a marine yard by Raffles in 1822. The area from Sandy Point at the tip of the spit to Deep Water Point, where TanjongKatong currently is, was to be developed as a shipbuilding yard. Chinese settlers who dwelled in this area were compensated for their move-out of TanjongRhu. One of the pioneers of shipbuilding business was Captain Flint who set up a company in 1822. By the 1860s, many boatyards were established including those owned by George Lyons, Thorneycroft and United Engineers, and Tivendale. With the development of trade, the shipyard industry in TanjongRhu expanded, helped further by the congestion at the Singapore River. All the boatyards there had to be cleared and relocated to TanjongRhu. The boatyards’ workers soon settled with their families in TanjongRhu and formed a village. As small shipbuilders made their debut at TanjongRhu, the area became more populated. In the early years, there was a single main road linking the yards to the village. Travelling between the city and East Coast was by ferry that plied between Johnston Pier at Colleyer Quay and TanjongRhu as roads linking these two points came up only in the 20th century.
In the 1980s, the yards had to be relocated to Jurong in line with the government’s attempt to cleanse the waterways. By this period, massive reclamation projects were undertaken to extend Bedok into Tanah Merah and Changi. A total of seven phases of the East Coast Reclamation project was completed between 1966 and 1985. The Benjamin Sheares Bridge was built in 1981. In 1991, the government announced its plan of converting TanjongRhu into a 34 ha residential enclave with recreational facilities. Restaurants, recreational facilities and shops have sprung up by the beach as well. A place of historical interest along the road is the Singapore Swimming Club, established in 1893. Opposite the club is the Dunman High School, established in 1956. It moved here from Dunman Road in 1995. Prior to this, the Ee Hoe Hean (Yihexuan) Club, the so-called Millionaires’ Club of Singapore used to be situated near the Singapore Swimming Club, within the premises of a house that belonged to the late Tan Lark Sye, a prominent businessman. It was said that fortunes were exchanged at the club’s mahjong tables. The club presumably shut down with the death of Tan Lark Sye.